Tuesday, March 27, 2007

CSA's in NC


I was poking around online this morning looking for a topic for a lesson I plan to teach to a huge bunch of kids in April (thanks for the link, Big Mamma!), and ran across a "go organic" link. I was reminded that Tod and I are going to be a part of a local CSA this year for the first time, and hopefully, we'll have it "down" by the time Baby M gets here next year (since I will have no time for a garden next year, we'll get much of our fresh organic produce direct from the grower).

If you aren't aware of CSAs, or don't know much about them, here's a little blurb:


A CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) is a membership farm. Most CSA farms use organic and/or sustainable growing practices. Consumers buy a share of a farm's production directly from the farmer, and then get a variety of seasonal fruits and veggies fresh from the farm every week during the growing season. Some CSA farms also offer flowers, herbs, eggs, or meats. Joining a CSA is a great way to support a local sustainable farmer, get the freshest produce possible at an affordable price, get to know the farm where your food comes from and the people who grow it, and to connect with like-minded folks in your area.

The farm we are a part of this year is Brinkly Farms. They do their CAS a little diferently than most, in that instead of sending us a box of misc. items (whatever is "ready"), they send us an email about what we can choose from, and then we get to pick from their over 50 veggies, and herbs and fresh pork/beef or eggs. I liked this b/c I didn't want to end up with a bunch of pork in my basket at the end of the week!! (since we're a veggie household!). Anyway, I'll be posting along the way about how this is going, and I'll try to rember to post recipes, since they add them to the mix as well.

No comments: