Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I'm in love...and he's not my husband

Aha! Got ya. Tod took me to a little show last night for someome I've listened to for about 2 years, although I only had one of his albums. But I listen to it ALL THE TIME. And as it turned out, Slaid Cleaves was in town last night (currently he's sort of on tour with Guy Clark, but last night it was just Slaid). Tod and I went to this greasy little BBQ joint (hee hee) to see the show. I loved it. It was really great to see him in person. He's a folk artist, technically, so he tells stories, and on one song even made everyone participate in one song. He also took requests, but he'd start a song, and totally forget the words (ok, only once). But he had warned us he hadn't played it in years. Anyway, he was funny, a great singer/song writer, and a damn fine fellow to look at!

He lists (some) of his influences as: Woody Guthrie, Hank Williams, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, The Beatles, The Clash, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, and Tom Waits.

Anyway, I dig him, even if he is a "folk" artist! You can catch some of his tunes (free) at: MySpace/slaidcleaves.

Interestingly enough, I found out about him from a friend of a friend who was a huge James fan. (that's James McMurtry, for y'all NOT in the know). And there is quite a bit of over-lap in influences/music styles, etc. I guess music from Texas is well, a small world! (BTW: check out Jame's site. My whip-ass cool Dad takes some of the pix. In fact, he takes the BEST pix on the site!! Like the one below!!) In fact, you can check out one of Jame's rockin' good songs at his myspace page. He's NOT folk, BTW. He's texas rock all the way.

No comments: