Saturday, July 28, 2007

Friends, part V or is it VI?

I just wanted to say that most of the time, I can't give up on a person/friendship even when I should. I'm obnoxiously persistent and tenacious in everything, but especially with relationships. I just want to mention 2 things.

1) For the last 8 months, I've been sending random "make friends again" notes to an ex-friend who I had a falling out with...surprise surprise, she's ignoring me. I got a bite once, but it was only about 10 words long, and was basically a "have a nice life, I'm too (busy? stuck-up?) to be bothered with you" note. Sadly, I keep writing to her...why the f@ck is that I wonder? I obviously can not take a hint.

2) However, the other day I followed up with another person I hadn't heard from for a long time. Same sort of situation (minus the falling out!!), I emailed her a bunch, but didn't hear back... I was starting to think about maybe giving up..."taking the hint" if you will, but I didn't. I kept emailing and trying to connect. Finally yesterday she called me, and reminded me why I kept trying. She simply hadn't been getting my emails, and was very glad I persisted. And you know what? I really really value this person's friendship, and I am so glad I didn't give up on her. It reminded me that sometimes people's lives get in the way, or they just don't get the note, but it is worth remembering that good friends are WORTH keeping in touch with. Thanks again, K.

I guess THAT'S why I can't take a hint. Some friendships ARE worth it...

No comments: