Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Keeping my head above water

I got the cutest email from a dear friend today. She had seen pix of The Minute, and she wanted to know where his second chin had gone!! LOL. He is getting so big, isn't he? And has lost the baby fat (and that second chin...although I may have found the extra fat. It's now on my butt. But that's probably TMI for y'all).

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week (or 3 days anyway) at the beach. It's a work trip, but the trip should be a lot of fun. We have a BBQ (oh, goodie) at historic Oakwood Plantation. Here's a little tid-bit about it:

Oakland Plantation, situated on a bluff overlooking the Cape Fear River in Bladen County was built over 200 years ago by General Thomas Brown, a Revolutionary War patriot. It is one of a few houses of its period in North Carolina still being used today.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Oakland depicts the architecture and skill of the artisans of that period. Bricks laid in Flemish bond were brought from England on sailing ships as ballast, transported up river, and unloaded by hand. The plantation is maintained today with the integrity and vision of it historical past.

In 1970 Oakland Plantation began the Turf business with 5 employees and 3 acres of Tifgreen 328. By 1972, 30 acres were cleared and planted with Tifgreen 328. The first shipment of sod left our farm on May 21, 1973.

Today the Turf business continues to grow with over 1600 acres of sod and clients such as Superbowl Champions, The Baltimore Ravens and the Augusta National Golf Course.


I love my job. Beach, history, and lots and lots of free drinks. Oh, and the guys aren't too rough on the eyes either. I'll take some pictures for your enjoyment later this week. Of the plantation and sod farm, NOT the guys. They are mine and I'm not sharing. ;->


Lastly, we have another call with our agency Wednesday. It's a short one. I'm guessing we'll have nothing new to report. BUT, I'll post if I hear anything worth reporting.


1 comment:

Kathryn said...

we're leaving today for 2 weeks, so i'll see you in july!! can't wait to get the next minute update!!!!