Thursday, November 20, 2008

My current life...

is insane. I have checked my personal email like, oh, 2 times in the last month (no joke!). I have emails from October I haven't even opened b/c I don't have time to respond. My work life is crazy busy, and I'm not sleeping. the good news? My Minute Man is wonderful. He is a true joy to see everyday. I am FINALLY feeling like I am getting a "feel" for this parenting thing, and it's not that I did anything really. It's more that MM is PERFECT. He really is (don't believe me? Ask his Grandparents!). He is funny, and cute, and ADORABLE, and it is a real joy to be lucky enough to be his Mom. But, while I'm finally "getting" that down, and keeping up with work, my "social" life is nil. Now, I don't need to go out drinking every night, or even every week; but as any mother out there knows, it sure does help to have an "outlet" to bounce ideas off of, commiserate with, relax over coffee/tea with, swap diaper stories with, etc. I really miss that "down" time with my girlfriends.

The "loss" - for lack of a better term - of one in particular has really been bothering me. She is someone I care very much about, and considered one of my closest friends. She became a mother to a newborn last spring, and it was tough to keep up with her (for obvious reasons!!), and now, we are both mom's, I work full-time, and she's plenty busy with other personal aspects of her own life. But it bothers me that we haven't been able to connect. I have another girlfriend, who is a mother to two adorable kiddos, and she is another of my favorite people. Unlike the first friend I mentioned (whom I haven't heard from in months), this friend keeps TRYING to get up with me, and I keep missing the emails, or the coffee dates! (Don't give up on my, Miss B!).


I guess that trying to balance 2 important aspects of ones life is hard enough. Now, I want to add a third back into it! The timing is tricky of course; with the holidays coming on, I'm afraid that the time for girlfriends is getting less and less, but I am thinking about taking some time off work for some "girlfriend" days. Mr. Minh is great company too, so hell, I might even bring him along to a few. Any takers?? I'd love to catch up with ANYONE I haven't seen in the last month (ok, that's EVERY ONE OF Y'ALL!). Coffee anyone???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nesh!

If I lived in Raleigh, I would be at your doorstep RIGHT NOW...with my kids in tow and two steaming hot mochas :)

BTW, my oldest is now 3 1/2, and it has pretty much been within the last 2 months that I've finally learned that I need play dates, too. So, we leave the kids with a babysitter and go out, or he stays home and I go out. Initially it felt selfish to do this...now it just feels healthy.

And I can't post a comment with out stating the obvious...

MINH IS SOOOOOOO CUTE!!
GEEEEESH What a sweet little guy!!!

-Britta

Anonymous said...

well if we were closer...

but if you're ever near san francisco, let me know!

-Mindy

P.S. it's so great to see the updates of your guy.. he is very cute and I'm glad he's been such a great child! So nice to see the love you have in your family.